This square was designed by Maria at PatternParadise.com. I love her site. She has alot of free crochet patterns that you can try. From her collection I am going to make a bunch of Festive Napkin Rings to give this holiday season as Hostess Gifts.
I love how she wrote this pattern. She gives you tips as you go and to make it clearer she puts part of the instructions for each round in red so that you can track where you are in the pattern so much easier. I have never seen that done for a pattern and I think it is genius.
Moogly 2017 CAL # 15 Link
- The pattern is written so you can either go with the color changes or just keep going with just a single color and no big edits are required.
- Pay attention to where you are placing the FPDC and the BPDC. Just because a stitch was a front post on one row does not mean it will be on the next row.
- Make sure you check your gauge when she gives you a measurement size. I had to frog my first attempt and go down a stitch size, then stop at round 14. (It worked out because the flower points were fully formed so it doesn’t lose anything if you have to stop early.)
- Don’t freak out when you have a weird shape that looks nothing like a square. It will get there, and it will be a perfect square after you block it.
- Make sure to use a stitch marker with this one. It is easy for the start of each round to make sure you are joining to the right post stitches.
- When you work the shells on Round 6 – turn your work so the stitch you are working around is easier to get to. You can turn it however it makes it easiest for you to make the shell.
Go Get Crafty!