On a trip to Scotland last summer my Mother-in-law had her mind blown when she found Gluten Free Sticky Toffee Pudding in a pub in Glasgow.
She said it was so amazing we all got a piece. I am not going to lie it was a good little cake, but it didn’t blow my mind. I passed my piece along and went back to the short bread.
Since we got back I have been secretly experimenting and trying different recipes so I could make gluten free sticky toffee pudding for my family on New Year’s.
Out of all the ones I tried this was my favorite. I honestly thought I had screwed up and used regular flour when I tasted it the first time.
When I made it for my family for the “first time” it turned out even better.
I am not going to post the recipe here. I found it at MeaningfulEats.com. She created it and she gets all the credit.
Things I changed.
- Flour: the recipe calls for gluten free flour so this isn’t a change but the one I used was Gluten Free Bisquick. I use this one in all of my gluten free recipes.
- Ramekins: I didn’t have the eight ramekins the recipe called for so I used a regular dozen cupcake pan. The batter filled all the cups evenly. There was some spreading over the top edge but it didn’t rise like a cup cake.
- Cooling: I cooled it in the pan like instructed. The only thing I did different was let them cool completely (the ones we didn’t immediately eat) on a wire rack – the tops were a little sticky.
Things that made me stop for a second.
- The Dates: the white part around the seed is ok. You don’t have to rip it all out.
- Soaking the dates: it is going to look like a hot mess bug it works out perfect. (Maybe because I let Mermaid stir it a couple of times.)
- Baking times: I still put the cupcake pan on top of a cookie sheet just in case. I checked them at 10 and 20 minutes. But they were perfect at 26 min.
- Caramel syrup: when you are whisking it on the stove it is going to look like a big stiff ball that just swirls around. Just keep moving it. And it’s going to get tight when you start adding the cream, just keep going.
It was pretty easy to make. There are several steps but don’t be intimidated.
“Don’t make this at Thanksgiving. They will never leave.” Father-In-Law
“This is a secret family thing. You only make that for us.” Mother-In-Law
“Omg Momma this is the best upside down cupcake ever.” Mermaid